Friday, August 3, 2012

Pasta and cancer

   I somehow managed to not take a single picture today...Not quite sure how that happened but it did...Jonah and I had a pretty lazy day today. We went to go see "Mr. Brian" (our chiropractor) and then came home, had lunch and naps (and some cuddle time) and then made dinner for Jason's family to come over. Jason's brother Jacob lives way far away in Kansas City and is here for a visit and Jonah has been very anxious to get to play with Uncle Jacob so we had them come over for spaghetti. We use Trader Joe's brown rice pasta (the only ingredient is organic brown rice) and organic roasted vegetable sauce and an organic vodka sauce mixture along with some fresh sauteed onions, bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes. I also use some of the sun dried tomato chicken meatballs from Trader Joes. It always comes out really yummy and we do that about once every two weeks along with a salad. I used my handy dandy food saver and vacuum sealed the leftover spaghetti so that I can use it for lunches later in the week :-) LOVE that thing!

   Jonah's eczema is calming down quite a bit. He's almost clear again. This has been one of the most severe outbreaks (he had probably 12-15 mosquito bites which started it) but this has also been one of the quickest times he's gotten over it. His eyes never got black under them like they normally do as well, so I think we're making progress. We are still using the steroid / aveeno / aquaphor combo on him at night and then using coconut oil on the eczema spots in the morning, poor thing is like a little greased pig..but it works and it's getting better.

   My cousin's husband Jon passed away today. He had esophageal cancer. I hate cancer. I haven't spent a huge amount of time with Jon in probably 5 years, but he has been with Jen for as long as I can remember. Jen is 13 years older then me so she was in high school at my earliest memories (we all lived on one big piece of property, so I grew up with most of my cousins across the field from me), and I don't remember there ever being a time when Jon wasn't around in some capacity. I am so sad for Jen and for their two girls, Tiffany and Kayla. I can't imagine losing my dad as a pre-teen girl or losing my husband and trying to raise girls after that. Please keep them in your prayers, along with my uncle who is already up in Pennsylvania with her and with my cousins Chrissy and Shelley and with Chrissy and Jen's mom Carol who are all heading up there to be with her. Pray for safe travels and for them to be able to offer some peace and comfort to Jen and the girls.

   Cancer is an awful horrible disease that has no concern with who you are and what you want to do in life or how much money you have or how many kids you have or how old you are or anything else. Cancer runs crazy in our family. My grandma has had breast cancer and brain tumors, my grandma on my dads side has had kidney cancer, my aunt has had leukemia along with another type of cancer that I can't remember right now, my uncle has had esophageal cancer, Jon had esophageal cancer, my other aunt has had pre-breast cancerous cells and my step-dad has multiple myeloma. I'm pretty confident I'm missing some. Jon is the first one in my immediate family to lose his life to cancer though.
   
     I know that there's not a whole lot you can do to avoid everything that "causes cancer" nor would I want to really, because I'm pretty sure you can make a correlation between just about anything and cancer. It also makes me wonder though what we're doing to have such a high rate of cancer in our country right now. There are places in the world that have almost no instance of cancer at all and ours is crazy high. I am praying for a cure as quickly as possible, and praying for knowledge for researchers on what is really causing all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment