Monday, August 6, 2012

Ode to Pinterest...

   I think that I should probably dedicate an entire blog post to my love of all things Pinterest. I seriously use it at least twice a day...substantially more then that some days. I cook from it, I lesson plan from it, I organize my house and classroom from it, I get book ideas from it. I am helping plan a friends baby shower (more with that later) and am doing almost all of it from Pinterest. It's spectacular :-).

    Those of you that know me well, know that I am just not a neat and tidy person. My projects in elementary school were so messy that in 5th grade, I won the science fair at school, but my presentation was so ugly that before my teacher would let it go to the county competition, I had to redo the whole board. It took hours and I think she really wanted to do it for me, but she was an excellent teacher, and made sure I did it all myself. Ever single last glue stroke...myself. If I can do nothing else in life, I can follow directions...Pinterest makes it so that as long as I do that, my projects come out like they should.
 
    This is my project for today. I am sure that just about every teacher in our school will be using one of these this year.  I am constantly digging in my desk for supplies. No more! I feel like this year I finally have a grasp on what I'm teaching (when my Assistant Principal said it took about 3 years to get a good grasp on your curriculum, she was not kidding)  so that I can finally get a grasp on organizing the rest of my classroom more effectively. I have been day dreaming about systems to put in place for classroom organization since right after the beginning of last year. Apparently I look organized to the outside world, but I still feel horribly unorganized (I'm sure my team would agree). We're making progress though! Anyway...I am pretty excited with how this came out....It actually looks like it should...maybe even better! After I took this picture, I realized that the one big drawer with the stripes was crooked and it made me absolutely nuts, so I pulled it off and re-glued it. That's where my Sharpies will go...the site that I got the labels from didn't have a drawer for Sharpies, but had a drawer for "other tape"...not sure what that means...

   Today...while sitting at home doing nothing...I discovered Song Pop. Holy cow...biggest time waster ever but so so much fun. This clearly hurt my dinner planning skills...oops :-). So about the time Jason called to say he was on his way home, I started thinking about dinner... I bought a smoked whole chicken from Tejas Heritage Farms at the farmers market on Saturday. SO glad I did...I pulled out a head of Romaine lettuce and a whole bunch of salad veggies, threw them together as a salad and then pulled apart the chicken. I put the breast meat on the salad and put the rest of it in tupperware for later. Some of it will be lunches for the next few days and some will become chicken salad. I love that my family will willingly eat salad...I ate a ton of it while I was pregnant and I think that's part of why Jonah is so willing to eat it. My grandma always had fresh salad around when I was growing up and was always very willing to share it with me...as she tells everyone, I got two bites and then she'd get one. That is one of her favorite stories to tell about me...I'm not quite sure why, but I think part of it is because she always wanted to make sure that her family had healthy food to eat and was proud of the fact that she was able to help provide that whenever she could. Don't get me wrong, we definitely ate fried bologna sandwiches with ketchup (I have no idea why, but for some reason, all 9 of the grandkids really liked them when we were kids and would beg to eat them, now we're all a little appalled by them and how much we loved them) but there were always fruits and veggies to go with everything.

   Tomorrow Jonah and I are headed up to work in my classroom. It is already functional enough for Meet the Teacher (which is way early in our inservice week this year, before our work day, and always makes for a crazy long day) but I would really like to just be able to work on curriculum for the work day that we get so I'm trying to get everything done ahead of time. I'm also totally obsessed with Meet the Teacher night..if you are a parent, please feel free to let me know of anything that would be helpful for you to see/get on Meet the Teacher night for your middle school student...I don't have one of those yet, so would love to get some helpful info from anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment