Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm kind of amazed at my body...

    So this may be entirely TMI for most of you, but it's my blog and you can close it if you want to...In the interest of transparency, I'm all about TMI...if you don't want to read about crazy hormones, then have a great day and we'll talk again tomorrow. :-)

    So as a bit of background...I have PCOS and probably have my entire reproductive lifespan thus far. I have never in my life (even on fertility drugs or birth control) had 28 day cycles. Never ever. I've never really had normal period symptoms because the PMS week or so that normal people get has been spread  out over a month or so while my body prepped for the one period it got every 4-6 months....a benefit of infertility...I don't get babies, but I don't get periods either...There is always a silver lining. I have also always had crazy bad, violently throwing up kind of bad, cramps, to the point that the school nurse in high school never argued about me going home when I needed to...and they almost always try and keep you in school, so the 2-3 periods a year thing was kind of OK really.

    Well, my doctor induced a period in June, then about 2 weeks afterwards put me on what he called the worst birth control ever. He said it would regulate and cause a 28 day-ish cycle, but people get pregnant on it all the time, so he almost exclusively uses it for prepping for fertility drugs. The plan was 3 months on that, then start the fertility drugs. I start taking that, and then exactly 2 weeks later, I get a period, and for the whole week before that I had all of those awful PMS symptoms that everyone talks about but I have never had the week before, maybe all spread out for a month before, but never a week. I thought that was really weird, and that the birth control really was crap because normally I don't get them at all, and here I sat 2 weeks in with a period. A few days later, I realized that it was exactly 28 days from the last period I had gotten. I was a little bit afraid to get excited about the possibility of regulation, but I went ahead and stopped taking the meds since they clearly weren't doing their job (which was definitely a God thing, because apparently, they were also reaping havoc on my liver, and it's anticipated that the fertility drugs would do the same thing, so those are a no go....awesome).

   Here I sit 3 weeks later, and notice that I haven't dropped any weigh in a few days and have actually gained 2 lbs (even with crazy cycles it is not uncommon for me to gain/lose 5-10 lbs every time I have one...I hold water like crazy) and I hadn't changed my eating at all...then notice that my skin is starting to break out...and I've spontaneously burst into tears like 3 in the last 24 hours... Only one of which was a little bit warranted. So I think it might have finally happened, after 15 years of having crazy unpredictable hormones, they seem to be functioning like their supposed to.. Pray for my poor husband and son as I figure out how to function and don't act like a 14 year old girl with crazy unpredictable hormone swings...

    I'm not sure what has fixed my body. Well...I really am, let me rephrase that. I'm not sure what changed medically, to fix my body. There have been a lot of people praying for healing for my dud ovaries for a long time. I felt prompted by God to remove every toxin possible from our lives and in turn have clearly become healthier. I'm not sure what we've cut out that has made the difference, but it's definitely something. I'm still shocked and amazed at how much better your body functions when it's being fueled the way that it was intended to be fueled.

    Today is my cousin's husbands funeral. Please pray for Jen and for Tiffany and Kayla (her daughters). They are packing up and moving to Florida to be with family at the end of the month. Pray for a seamless transition for Jen and the girls. I am selfishly a bit excited about them being down there because I will get to see them more, but am praying that they end up in the place that is the best for healing.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, you know I am praying for your reproductive system, and the rest of you, too. And my heart and prayers are going out for Jen and the family. :(

    Love you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! So psyched you've been able to get some relief and figure some stuff out. Are you gluten-free too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am. It doesn't bother me like it does Jason and Jonah (we're pretty sure Jason is Celiac and Jonah breaks out in head to toe hives) but it seems to be working better for all of us to be on a gluten free diet. We're not eating anything processed and trying to stay away from GMO too, so that pretty much cuts out wheat. I've also completely cut out soy. So basically I'm only eating what came from an animal or what came straight out of the ground...or that's the goal at least.

      Delete