Saturday, July 28, 2012

So easy...so so easy



    Dinner tonight was probably the easiest recipe I've ever made...seriously so easy. It was a lemon flavored salmon with squash and zucchini.

    I got enough aluminum foil to make a pouch for the salmon that would close it off completely then laid that flat. I thinly sliced a lemon and laid it flat then put the salmon on top of it. I put about a slice of butter on top of both pieces of salmon and then closed the pouch. I put it in the oven on 300 for about 30 minutes.

 

     While I put that in the oven, I sliced up a few squash and zucchini and put it in a grill basket, mixed in about a tablespoon of butter (it could have easily been coconut oil or something else), sprinkled some cracked pepper on it and then put it on the grill on low. I went out twice and squeezed a little bit of lemon onto it but mostly I just ignored it until the salmon was done.



This morning we made our weekly farmers market trip and I've decided that Jonah will eat just about anything that he gets to help pick out from that place. The people there are really nice and will talk to him forever...which is a success in the book of Jonah...He really just loves to meet people. When I gave him his dinner tonight he looked at me like I had 6 heads when I tried to get him to eat squash and zucchini. He has had it before, so I'm not sure what the issue was...but he had a 4 year old mental road block up against it. As soon as I reminded him that he helped me pick out the food at the market this morning problem was solved and he ate it all, no questions asked.

    If your kids are refusing to eat foods, try letting them be the ones to pick them out of letting them help cook it, even if Jonah just stirs a few times, if he feels like he helped make it, it makes the dinner battles so so much smaller. It works on other kids, too. I was a nanny in college (and right afterwards) for two boys (and another boy before that, and a boy and a girl before that), one of which would eat just about whatever you put in front of him and the other that it could be world war three to get him to eat anything other then spaghetti or cheese balls. If he got to help me make dinner though, the dinner battle was over. I am happy to report that he now eats like a rock star...maybe it was just that I stopped cooking for him when I moved to Texas...Jason's not the only one who had to eat a lot of ugly food. I never told them I could cook when they hired me, I just promised to love their babies :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment