Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dinner tastes better when it's pretty....


Our family has always had yellow gravy for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I thought all turkey gravy was yellow to be honest. When grandma came to Texas for the first time for Christmas, she was in the kitchen helping mom make dinner (keep in mind, I grew up across the field from my grandparents in a little town called Dover, Florida, lived there until I was 14 when we moved to Texas and this Christmas in question was when I was probably 16 or 17) and asked me to bring her her purse. I assumed this was either for money for a grocery run, or medication or something, but instead she pulled out yellow food coloring. Clearly for some reason she had decided that we wouldn't have yellow food coloring but regardless of why, it was so important to her that the food look a certain way that she brought her own supplies to make it happen. I asked her why and she explained to me the importance of presentation. I clearly didn't get it at that point and my husband has spent a lot of time eating a lot of really ugly food...but I think I might have finally gotten it. 

Last week when I made our meet order, I let Jonah pick out one type of meat and he picked chicken wings. We don't normally even eat chicken wings, but he decided he needed it, so who am I to argue. I picked up our order from Yonder Way Farms at our chiropractors office yesterday and the first thing he said was that we needed to have chicken wings for dinner tonight. So we did. I couldn't make this easy and use a store bought barbeque sauce...no no, I made my own... and am so so glad I did. It was amazing...so amazing in fact that I took it over to the neighbors and made them try it. I'm not claiming it's healthy as in low calorie count...but it's tasty...and it's whole food...and gluten free so it's a winner for our house. 

Barbeque Sauce Recipe

3/4 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup tomato paste (I've heard ketchup will work as well)
1/4 cup peach infused vinegar (The other recipes I've seen have used red wine, which I'm sure would work, but I had peach and I'm all about a little bit of a fruity taste whenever I can get it)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce (I found an organic, no high fructose corn syrup one at Trader Joes)
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1 tsp Paprika 
3/4 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp black pepper

I mixed them all together in a bowl, brushed it on the wings, and then let it marinade all day. Jason put them on the grill with the asparagus (which I marinated for about half an hour in some of the peach vinegar and some olive oil) and I put the corn (husk and all) in the oven on 350 for about 40 minutes and that's about all it took to get dinner on the table for us tonight. The actual cooking took as long as it took for the corn to cook and Jason played baseball with Jonah in the back yard while the chicken was on the grill. Super easy, if I can do it you can do it :-) 

On a not-so random side note...my weight has now had 2 (TWO!) 10's place changes since I started. Not 20 lbs...but enough to make it change twice (TWICE!). I may or may not have made Jason come weigh himself to prove to me that the scale was in fact working...I'm a little skeptical, what can I say.


No comments:

Post a Comment