Friday, July 27, 2012

Down home on the farm

Jonah and I...well really me...Jonah's just a long for the ride....so really...I got this crazy idea last night to take Jonah to go to a farm today. Like a farm that does something....so really a ranch or hydroponic farm or dairy or something. So I did what any 20-something google addict does...I started googling stuff and found a dairy that we had actually gotten milk from when Jason's aunt Becky went and picked it up for us once. It's only 20 minutes away! Success! So I messaged them on Facebook, they said come on, and off we went.

   I think my kid might have been meant to live on a farm...although my poor husband definitely wasn't. We got there, and he was out the door with the cows....They have calfs that are in little mini-pens with houses while they're growing into the pasture and I was pretty sure Jonah was going to try and take one home. I grew up across the street from cows...so it wasn't uncommon for us to play in the pasture (it wasn't a whole herd, normally just 4 or 5 in the whole pasture) or feed them whatever we could find growing around there (lots of citrus trees and berry bushes) and apparently the animal love has finally passed on through into Jonah. He asked the ranch hand that was there if he could help feed the cows and feed the cows he did "Just like I feed Mac". He got to learn about how to mix the feeds for the calves and got to help carry buckets and was just ridiculously excited to be there.

   We went in the store and got some milk and eggs and cream and some little individual sized milks "for the ride home" They make their own chocolate milk and it is SPECTACULAR...Jonah though has decided that he likes the raw milk enough that he just wanted plain milk. We are making a return trip next week with some friends to learn about how the dairy works (and get some butter that they were out of today).

    I feel like right now I'm focusing a lot of energy on getting the right food into our routine and the wrong food out of our routine. We are not following a certain "diet plan" as a family. Jason and I were talking last night and I was talking about how I didn't feel like there was a whole lot that we can't eat... because we were so close to the gluten free as a family for the last 3 years that that was probably the easiest transition for us to kick over, but we're eating so much quality food that is taking a little more effort to prepare, but I don't feel hungry and I don't feel like we're missing anything. It's not in the house to eat, and good stuff is, so you eat what's available to you. We've gone through almost 50 peaches and 4 quarts of strawberries and 3 pints of blueberries since Jonah and I got back from Florida on July 5th...which I just realized has only been 3 weeks...It's amazing to me what a change we've made this summer. I am glad that I did this during summer and not during the school year. I have a system planned that I think will work to keep us stocked during the school year. We will be using Yonder Way Farms for milk and chicken since they deliver straight to where we are and will be using our own cow that will be in in September for beef. I will continue going to the farmers market on Saturday mornings and getting most of our produce from there. I will probably make once a month trips to Calico Dairy for cream and butter and we have a teacher who owns an organic farm (Peas Farm, Conroe) that delivers eggs and produce to our school weekly. It's a couple of extra stops, but I think that it's definitely doable.

    We went out to dinner tonight for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks. I was doing some shopping for a baby shower and to get some soap from the awesome antibacterial soap We went to Pei Wei and I ate lettuce wraps and Jason had gf sweet and sour chicken and Jonah had gf sweet and sour shrimp with brown rice....I didn't realize it...but the lettuce wraps that I always eat (normally I get a pair of crab rangoons too) are only 300 calories...so I got extra lettuce and ate till I was full...which was about 3/4 of the plate. I consider that a successful dinner out...

No comments:

Post a Comment