Monday, July 30, 2012

3 more weeks....

     That's all that I have left of summer....3 more weeks...I go back to school on August 20th. I am ready to be back in my routine and to have kids back on a daily basis, and to have adult interaction on a daily basis. Today Jonah and I had a playdate today and made zucchini pizza (made just like french bread pizza except instead of using bread, you use slices of zucchini. This is a big favorite around our house...I'm not sure how a kid who has been allergic to wheat since he was 14 months old could love pizza as much as Jonah does.

     I am starting to get systems in place that will hopefully work for the next school year. I have breakfast down to an art for now. I have 2 divided containers that have vegetables sliced up into them and I take those containers and throw some of it in a skillet, put some salsa on top along with a piece of turkey bacon or some chicken sausage and call it breakfast. It only takes about 10 minutes so it's definitely do-able for school mornings. Jason has a keurig that he used in his last office, but his new office has a keurig so he obviously doesn't need it. I am going to take it with me to school and use it for hot water to make oatmeal or tea and things like that. I'm pretty excited about that. 

    
    Tonight for dinner, I made some blackened Mahi Mahi with a fruit salsa on top and some long grain rice and when I got home to cook it all, my across the street neighbors had brought over some salad that she had made so I didn't have to make one :-). I love that other people are starting to work towards holding me accountable for what I am eating and doing. I appreciate the encouragement on all sides. 

Here's the super yummy Mahi Mahi recipe...I love love love fish. It's easy and quick to cook and doesn't require a whole lot of prep time. 


1 cup of diced strawberries
1/2 cup diced kiwi
1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 minced jalapeno pepper {with or without seeds}
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
2/3 lb of mahi mahi

 In a large glass bowl, combine the strawberries, kiwi, cilantro, shallot, jalapeno and lime juice.  Stir together and cover.  Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.

In a small glass bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika.  Sprinkle evenly on the top side of the mahi mahi.  Heat a caste iron skillet over high heat.  Add a little bit of olive oil and place fish in skillet.  Cook for 4 to 5 minutes and then flip for another 3-4 minutes.  Fish is done when it flakes with a fork.

Jonah is going to Schlitterbahn tomorrow with Jason's mom and his cousins...so Jason and I used our date night well....we made some yogurt :-) I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow....hopefully it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment