Sunday, November 11, 2012

Color Run!!!

    You would think that from the way I feel after run/walking my first 5k that I just finished a marathon. I am exhausted and everything hurts, but more then that, I accomplished a goal. This was the first fitness goal I set for myself with my doctor this summer. I forgot to wear compression shorts today and in turn paid for it with bleeding thighs....my mother in law informed me that was TMI...but I'm kind of feeling like that's valid information for anyone else who is slightly fluffier would like to know, so it stays. That contributed a whole lot to my ridiculously slow time because you kind of don't want to run anymore when you're legs are literally on fire.
   
    The first thing I learned (which wasn't really a new revolution, but was an awesome reminder) is that I have amazing friends. I am significantly more out of shape then a huge majority of my friends. I was definitely the weak link. They could have run all 3.2 miles and I asked/begged them to go ahead and I'd catch up (how I planned on doing this I have no clue) about a million times and each time, they very emphatically refused. I kept my ear buds in and tried to survive kilometers 2 and 3...One was fine and I think I was numb by 4...so I was good again then, but they stayed right with me.

    My second lesson learned is that I am still way way out of shape. I have been doing 5k's regularly in the gym... on a machine. These machines do not take overpasses into account. Overpasses hurt so good...This 5k had 2 just in case you were wondering...we went over them twice. I think I told the road how much it sucked over and over again while I was climbing up them. But I kept going and I finished.   I finished with multi-colored teeth...that's what happens if you don't brush people....it's scary.




   I am a perfectionist. I have admitted this to myself and to everyone else in the world multiple times. I was pretty ticked off with myself that I wasn't running more of the race then I did. Right as the I started the last kilometer and I was really really getting angry with myself and my inability to keep running through the burning in the top of my legs, my playlist pulls up some Matchbox 20 jams. The song it started was "How Far We've Come". The whole premise of the song is that we as a society are basically destroying ourselves for the sake of "progress" so while it's a song that I absolutely love (and for the largest part agree with) and regularly jam out to...mostly because of my love for Rob Thomas, it's also not necessarily one with an encouraging message. The statement "Let's see how far we've come" plays over and over through out the song. It reminded me at just the right moment how far I've come. It's a little victory, but it's a victory none the less

No comments:

Post a Comment